How to Clean Security Shutters
Security shutters provide safety, privacy, and reduce your cooling and heating bills thanks to their heavy insulation. They add a tremendous amount of personal value to your home, but what about their curb appeal value?
Over time, security shutters can get filthy. Due to sand, dirt, and general debris, your shutters go from pristine to problem fast. To get your security shutters back in shape, here are some ways on how to clean them.
Before You Start
- Do not use all-purpose cleaners on interior shutters. These cleaners contain chemicals that can be too harsh and can discolor your shutters.
- Make sure to follow ladder safety precautions when cleaning shutters, especially with uneven ground. You want the ladder to be sturdy and tall.
Cleaning Your Shutters
1. With some mild detergent, clean water, and a soft cloth, remove built-up pollutants and grime particles that reside in the shutters.
Make sure to clean up and down the closed shutters with this solution to not misalign the slats. With misaligned slats, you will have trouble operating the shutters.
Note: With wood shutters, you can use a wood polish to have it looking clean and new. Do not use detergent or bleach on wood.
2. Open the shutters and clean with a soft bristled brush.
You also need to clean the shutters between the guides; for this, you will need to have the shutters open. If you’re cleaning weekly, you can use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment. This is a simple way to remove debris and litter with ease.
3. Clean the shutter guides with a hose at a low water pressure.
Make sure to let the guides completely dry before closing them. If your guides are crowded with detritus, it can affect their functionality and force you to get your shutters repaired or replaced.
4. Use bleach and water on mildew stains.
If you have mildew stains on the exterior that won’t clean off, you can try using 1 part bleach and 5 parts water. Before use, test the solution on the underside of a shutter to see how they will react. You do not want to end up discoloring them.
5. Use a duster to wipe off excess dust and debris.
Make sure that the shutters are free from debris or any other type of litter.
Superior Sun Solutions is no longer offering security shutter products or rolling shutter products.